Porthcurno to Gwennap Head

The walk starts at Porthcurno and climbs the cliff to the Minack Theatre with spectacular views over Pedn Vounder. The coast path then forms the route via Porth Chapel and St Levan's Holy Well to the tiny cove of Porthgwarra, now famous for the nude swimming scene in Poldark. The walk continues around Gwennap Head passing the abyss formed by a collapsed cave and coastguard lookout before returning across the fields via St Levan's legendary stone in the churchyard.

Vital statistics

  • OS Explorer: 102 (scan QR code on right to order from Amazon)
  • Distance: 5.4 miles/8.7 km
  • Grade: Moderate-strenuous
  • Start from: Porthcurno car park
  • Parking: Porthcurno car park. Satnav: TR196JX
  • Recommended footwear: Walking shoes, or trainers in summer

Maps for this walk

(dark blue corner = laminated version)

Highlights

  • Sandy beaches at Porthcurno, Chapel Cove and Porthgwarra
  • Spectacular coastal scenery
  • Views of the Runnelstone buoy, Wolf Rock + Longships lighthouses and The Scilly Isles
  • Wildflowers in late spring and early summer
  • Wildlife including seals, birds of prey and choughs
  • Ancient relics including St Levan's well, chapel and stone.

Adjoining walks

Directions

  1. Make your way to the bottom of the car park and follow the path starting beside the toilets, towards the beach, to reach an information board just before the lifeguard hut.

    From 1870 to 1970, Porthcurno valley was a hub of international communications and, for a time between the First and Second World Wars, was the largest submarine cable station in the world. Up to two million words per day could be transmitted using up to 14 cables. It was chosen over Falmouth to reduce the risk of damage to cables by shipping. Even today, fibre-optic cables land at Porthcurno, connecting the UK to the internet backbone.

  2. The walk continues to the right, but the beach can be reached to the left if you want to go there first. Follow the path to the right and keep right to cross a stream and join the coast path.

    In common with most of the other beaches around Penwith, the sand at Porthcurno is composed of fragments of seashell. Larger pieces of shell, and some intact shells, are usually washed up along the high-tide line. These mostly seem to be venus clams which are very pale in colour and may explain the particularly white sand around this coast. Another factor is that, unlike the slate in much of the rest of Cornwall, the granite here does not weather into minute flakes which mix into the sand and darken the colour.

  3. Bear left onto the Coast Path and follow it past the building to a waymark, where a path descends from the Minack Theatre.

    Cornwall bounces by around 4 inches every time the tide goes in and out. As the tide rises, the extra weight of water on the continental shelf deforms the Earth's crust; as the tide goes out, it springs back. The tidal range is greatest on the southwestern side of the British Isles and so Cornwall is one of the bounciest places in Britain.

  4. The route ahead involves climbing up steep steps up the cliff which have spectacular views but are quite exposed. If you are uncomfortable with this then turn right at the waymark, follow the path to reach a Minack Theatre sign, then follow the signs to a wooden Coast Path sign, beneath which is a kissing gate. Otherwise continue on the path to the next waymark.

    The name Minnack is from the Cornish word meynek.

    In English we often add a -y ending to a noun to turn it into an adjective; for example "rock" becomes "rocky". For many of the nouns imported from French, we add -ic (acidic, magnetic, artistic...). The equivalent in Cornish is to add -ack or -ek to the end of the word. Thus meynek is "stony" (men is stone), stennack means "tinny" (sten is tin).

  5. Carefully climb the steps to reach the entrance to the Minack Theatre.

    The Minack open-air theatre was created by one remarkable woman - Rowena Cade - who financed, planned and physically built the theatre. Initially she worked as apprentice to two Cornish craftsmen to cut stone for the stage and seating, with one wheelbarrow lost over the edge of the cliff in the process. The first performance was "The Tempest" in 1932 which was lit by car batteries and headlights. From this point until her death, Rowena worked relentlessly on improving the theatre, which included carrying sand on her back from Porthcurno beach to make concrete.

    When wreckage from a Spanish Freighter washed onto Porthcurno beach, Rowena single handedly carried twelve 15ft beams up to Minack. When Customs officers on the beach enquired as to whether she had seen the timber, Rowena admitted that she had collected some wood that morning. Concluding that such a frail-looking woman could not have lifted what they were looking for, they went on their way. "I didn't tell them a lie now did I?" Rowena remarked as she built the new dressing rooms from the beams.

    Just before she died in 1983, she left elaborate sketches of how the theatre might be covered when it rains. So far there have not been the funds to implement them, but maybe one day there will.

  6. Continue ahead past the entrance to reach the car park and cross this to reach a kissing gate beneath a wooden Coast Path sign.
  7. Go through the gate and follow the path across the headland until you reach a waymark.

    Just before you reach the waymark, a path leads to the left onto Rospletha Cliff.

    The headland of Pedn-men-an-Mere is known locally as "Wireless Point" as a 170ft mast with a large antenna was erected here in 1902 by the Eastern Telegraph Company to monitor the early activities of the potential competitor, Marconi. The antenna base and tether points are still visible on the headland. The conclusion from the monitoring was that Marconi's newfangled wireless technology was no threat to the cable telegraph companies. In fact, Marconi's shortwave wireless system turned out to be so successful that it almost bankrupted the cable companies in the 1920s.

    The smaller of the two boulders on the end of the headland is what is known locally as a logan stone. The weight of a teenager or adult on the edge closest to the land is sufficient to make the huge boulder rock back and forth.

  8. Keep left at the waymark to follow the coast path ahead until you reach a waymark and signs for the path being diverted to protect the remains of St Levan's Chapel.

    The Runnel Stone is a pinnacle reef situated roughly a mile south of Gwennap Head which is a notorious shipping hazard and was responsible for the grounding of at least 30 steamships between 1880 and 1923 alone. The reef used to break the surface at low water until 1923 when a 6,000 ton steamship called The City of Westminster, which was laden with maize from South Africa, ploughed into the reef with such force that the top 20 feet of the reef was broken off. The ship didn't fare too well either and sank, but fortunately all aboard were saved by the Sennen and Penlee lifeboats. The bow and stern of the wreck are still identifiable by divers but there is so much wreckage from other ships that it's hard to tell which is which.

  9. The path ahead leads to the beach which you may want to visit first, otherwise turn right up the steps and follow the path over a footbridge to reach a waymark at a junction of paths.

    Porthchapel is a small cove between Porthcurno and Porthgwarra, and should not be confused with Chapel Porth which is near St Agnes. Like Porthcurno, Porthchapel is a beach of shell sand, situated between two granite headlands. Porthchapel faces south, making it a sun trap, and is a nice spot for swimming when there isn't a swell running, although it is advisable to stay within the lee of the headlands as exceptionally strong currents run along this area of the coast.

  10. At the waymark, continue ahead up the steps to reach a waymark where another path joins from the right.

    St Levan's chapel was built on platforms cut into the cliff face and could date as far back as the 8th Century, making it one of the oldest, if not the oldest Christian building in Cornwall. It's likely that the spring forming the Holy Well pre-dates the chapel and could have been a sacred spring in pre-Christian times. In the 18th Century, the well building still had a roof but little remained by the end of the 20th Century; the walls were partially reconstructed in 2003. Water from the well is still used for baptisms at Levan's Church. The Holy Water was thought to be a cure for toothache and eye diseases, and sleeping the night by the well was said to increase its powers. Perhaps during a freezing night in a howling gale on a cliff edge, the toothache seemed a less pressing concern!

  11. Continue ahead on the coast path until you cross over a line of boulders and descend a rocky path to reach a waymark at a junction of paths.

    Seals are not closely related to other marine mammals. In mediaeval times seals were classified as fish and could therefore be eaten during lent and on fridays and saturdays. However, as you might be able to guess from their features, seals are closely related to dogs, bears and otters. In fact, a dog is very much more closely related to a seal than a cat. The seal species most frequently seen along the Cornish coast are grey seals and common seals.

  12. Keep left at the waymark and follow the path to reach a waymark at the bottom of some steps.
  13. Turn left at the waymark, in the direction of the red arrow, to reach a track. Follow the track past the beach to a footpath signpost.

    The beach at Porthgwarra is privately-owned but well-behaved members of the public are permitted access. The tunnel to the beach was dug by miners from St Just to provide easier access for fishermen to the beach and so farmers could transport sand and seaweed from the beach by horse and cart to fertilise the fields. The cove is quite sheltered between the headlands, but swimming beyond the headlands is inadvisable as there are extremely strong currents here where the English Channel meets the Atlantic.

  14. Turn left at the signpost and pass between the buildings to another signpost. Take the path directly ahead of this, signposted to Land's End. Follow the path through a kissing gate to reach a fork in the path.

    As you come out of the tunnel on the beach, on your left is a second tunnel which leads to a neighbouring rocky cove. This provided convenient access to the "hulleys" which were built into the rocks. These were similar in principle to a "keep pot", used to store crabs and lobsters for a few days prior to taking the catch to market. However unlike keep pots which remain offshore below the water, these were tidal and took the form of a cage built from wood with a solid wooden top (which provided shade) containing a trapdoor.

  15. Keep right at the fork (the path to the left leads out to the headland and rejoins further along) to reach a waymark. Continue until you reach another fork in the path at a second waymark.

    Keep a look out for choughs which can sometimes be seen on the headland.

    The chough is a member of the crow family, with striking red legs and a red beak. It was known as the "Crow of Cornwall" and appears on the county coat of arms. The birds have a distinctive call which is perhaps best described as resembling a squeaky dog toy! They are also recognisable from feathers, spread like fingers, on their wings.

    In the 1800s, many choughs were killed by "sportsmen" and trophy hunters. Also around this time, grazing livestock were moved to inland pastures where they could be more easily managed. The result was that the cliff slopes became overgrown and choughs found it increasingly difficult to find suitable feeding areas. By 1973, the chough had become extinct in Cornwall.

    Since then, clifftops have been managed more actively which has included the reintroduction of grazing and choughs have returned to Cornwall by themselves from colonies in Wales or Ireland. The first pair settled in 2001 on the Lizard Peninsula. Since then, the birds have successfully bred and been joined by a few more incoming birds, and the population has slowly but steadily grown. Each chough is fitted with one leg ring in the colours of St Piran's flag and two other colours on the opposite leg to identify them.

  16. The walk continues on the right-hand path. The path to the left leads to the blowhole; if you want to have a look then return to this point to continue without missing the Runnel Stone markers. Continue on the right-hand path to reach another fork in the path.

    The headland has been known as Gwennap Head only since 1888. Before this, the headland was known as Tol-Pedn-Penwith which is Cornish for something along the lines of "Hole Head of Penwith", referring to the blowhole in the cliff leading into a large sea cave.

  17. The paths to the right lead to the Runnel Stone markers if you want to have a closer look before continuing. Keep left to stay on the main stony path and reach the Coastguard Lookout.

    The pair of cones on Gwennap Head are daytime navigation markers, erected in 1821, indicating the position of the Runnel Stone. The innermost marker is painted black and white and when this is completely obscured by the outer red cone, the observing ship would be directly on top of the Runnel Stone. The objective is therefore always to be able to see the black and white marker.

  18. Walk around the outside of the Coastguard Lookout and follow the coast path across the headland and into a bay. Follow the path up from the bay to reach a fork at the top of a small headland, with a larger headland directly behind.

    The coastguard station on Gwennap Head was built at the start of the 20th Century and was in service by 1910. When a French fishing boat was wrecked at the foot of the cliffs, it was realised this was invisible from the one-storey station so the second storey was added. Due to cost-cutting in the Coastguard service, the station was closed in 1994. Shortly after this, it was taken over by the National Coastwatch Institute and reopened in 1996.

  19. At the fork, take the left-hand path (which is rougher, but has superior views) and follow this to a junction with the other path at the top of the headland.
  20. Rejoin the main path to continue along the coast and when you reach a fork a short distance afterwards, take the right-hand path ahead leading to a kissing gate in a stone wall.

    Wolf Rock is a pinnacle seven miles southwest of Gwennap Head which rises more than 60 metres to break the surface. The rock earned its name from the howling sound caused by gale force winds blowing through fissures in the rock.

    In the 1830s, a beacon was built on the rock which has survived into the 21st Century. The beacon consists of a metal cone, just under 5 metres in diameter and height, constructed of iron plates and filled with cement rubble. The difficulties of building this were enormous: during 5 years, there were only 302 hours during which work could be carried out. Work on a 25 metre lighthouse began in 1861 and took 8 years to complete. It is constructed of granite quarried at Lamorna Cove and until 1988, it was manned.

  21. Go through the kissing gate and take the left-hand path at the fork. Follow this to reach another fork in the path shortly after the two paths rejoin.

    The Scilly Isles lie 28 miles off Lands End and can be seen with the naked eye on a clear day. Scilly has been inhabited since the Stone Age and the inhabitants originally spoke the Celtic (Cornish) language. It is thought that possibly even as recently as Roman times, the 55 islets were once part of one large single island that has since been flooded by rising sea levels. During low spring tides, it is still possible to wade between some of the islands.

  22. Keep left at the fork to follow the more scenic path around the headland to where the two paths rejoin.

    Land's End is the most westerly point on the English mainland and is consequently the last place that the sun sets on mainland England. It is 5.73 degrees west of the Greenwich Meridian and since each 15 degrees is an hour of time difference, Land's End is 22 minutes and 28 seconds behind London. It's therefore possible to drink a couple of glasses of wine watching the sun set whilst all the while it's been dark in London. The Cornish name Pen an Wlas means "End of the Earth".

  23. Continue ahead to cross a stream and climb up the other side of the valley until you reach a small grassy path departing to the right towards a fenced wall.

    The Longships Lighthouse is located just over a mile off Land's End on the highest of the islets known as Carn Bras. The original tower built in 1795 was 40ft high, perched on the 39ft high rock but despite the lantern being nearly 80ft above the sea, it was sometimes obscured by the huge waves off Lands End. A new taller tower was therefore constructed starting in 1869 and completed in 1873 and was manned until 1988. The current lantern emits a white flash seaward, but red-tinted glass colours the light for any vessel straying to the headlands to the north or south.

  24. Take the right-hand path and follow it parallel to the wall on the right until the path ends at a gate.

    In 1898, the Longships lighthouse was almost obliterated by an offcourse ship. The SS Bluejacket ran up the reef and its remains now lie in the shallows. The captain left course instructions with the first mate and then retired to his quarters. On passing Wolf Rock, the mate asked the captain for further instruction but the captain was reluctant to return from his quarters. The inexperienced mate decided to steer directly at the Longships lighthouse with predictable consequences. The captain was charged with neglect of his duties. A reason was not stated, but amongst those saved by the Sennen lifeboat was the Captain's wife.

  25. Go through the gate and follow the grassy path between the hedges to reach a cottage.
  26. Pass the cottage and follow the track away from the cottage to reach a waymark at a junction.
  27. Turn right at the waymark, as indicated by the red arrow, and follow the track towards a farm to reach a waymarked flight of steps on the right, just before a barn.

    The farm at the junction is Higher Bosistow. Further along the lane to the left is Lower Bosistow.

    The higher of the two farms is first recorded in the 13th Century as Bodestou. The building has been rebuilt and modified over the years but parts of the current building may date back to the 17th Century. In the 18th Century, the farm was bought by a wealthy landowning family. One of their descendants in the 19th Century decided to build a more elegant residence to reflect his perceived status and this is the Lower Bosistow farmhouse (his parents remained in the upper farmhouse).

  28. Climb the steps and follow the left hedge to a gateway.
  29. Go through the gateway and cross the diagonal of the field on the right to a gateway in the opposite corner.
  30. Go through the gateway and cross the field towards the barns. As you approach, bear left to reach a stile about 20 metres to the left of the gate.
  31. Cross the stile and turn left onto the track. Follow this a short distance to a lane and turn right onto the lane. Follow the lane past the farm and past a footpath sign on a bend to reach a second Public Footpath sign above a stile.
  32. Cross the stile and follow the track along the right hedge to a gateway on the far side of the field.
  33. Go through the gateway into the field on the right-hand side. Follow along the left hedge then cross the field to the gateway opposite.
  34. Go through the gateway and cross the field towards the church tower to reach a stone stile.
  35. Cross the stile and head straight across the field to a stone stile on the right of the gateway.
  36. Cross the stile (or go through the gate if open) and follow the right hedge to reach a stone stile in the corner of the field.
  37. Cross the stile and follow the right hedge to another stone stile in the corner of the field.
  38. Cross the stile and bear left to a stone stile in the middle of the left hedge.
  39. Cross the stile and follow along the right hedge to reach a wooden stile.
  40. Cross the stile and follow the path past the cottages to emerge onto a lane, opposite the church.

    The churchyard of St Levan is thought to date back to the 9th or 10th Century and an original church of wood and thatch may have been replaced by one built of stone before the Norman conquest. In the 12th Century, a stone church was built using Norman techniques and elements of this survive today, including a Norman font which dates from the beginning of the 12th Century. In the 15th Century, the building was extended and the tower was added.

  41. Cross the lane to the church and go up the steps towards the church. Turn left and follow the path to a gateway with a coffin rest at the top of the churchyard.

    In St Levan's churchyard, near the porch, is a large boulder in two pieces known as St Levan's stone. It is thought that the stone was originally associated with Pagan fertility rites before Christianity reached Cornwall. When the Christian church adopted it, a legend was created that St Levan broke it in two with his staff whilst making the prophecy about the end of the world:

    When with panniers astride
    A pack horse can ride
    Through St Levan stone
    The world will be done
  42. Exit the churchyard and follow the right hedge of the field to a pedestrian gate.
  43. Go through the gate and follow the grassy track across the middle of the field towards the building to reach an iron kissing gate next to a farm gate.
  44. Go through the gate and turn left. Follow the track to a gateway leading out of the settlement.
  45. Continue on the track through the gateway to a pair of gates. Go through the gate on the right and follow the track to reach a road.
  46. Cross the road to the gap opposite, indicated by the public footpath sign. Then follow the lane ahead to reach the Telegraph Museum.

    During the Second World War, Cornish miners dug a series of tunnels to create an underground bomb-proof and gas-proof building, housing all the telegraph operations at Porthcurno. This also included a secret escape tunnel leading to a concealed entrance in a field. In total, 15,000 tons of rock were excavated and an office space was created in the excavated area complete with a pitched roof to shed seepage, a suspended ceiling and plastered walls. Known as "The Tunnels", the dry space at constant temperature proved to be the perfect environment for the sensitive telegraphy equipment and so operations stayed there after the war and the equipment continued to be upgraded until the 1970s. It now forms part of the Porthcurno Telegraph Museum and houses the main museum displays.

  47. Turn right down the steps at the front of the museum to return to the car park and complete the circular route.

Help us with this walk

You can help us to keep this walk as accurate as it possibly can be for others by spotting and feeding back any changes affecting the directions. We'd be very grateful if could you look out for the following:

  • Any stiles, gates or waymark posts referenced in the directions which are no longer there
  • Any stiles referenced in the directions that have been replaced with gates, or vice-versa
  • If you have a large dog, let us know if you find problems with the stiles on this walk (e.g. require the dog to be lifted over). A rough idea of how many problematic stiles there are is also useful.

Take a photo and email contact@iwalkcornwall.co.uk, or message either IWalkCornwall on facebook or @iwalkc on twitter. If you have any tips for other walkers please let us know, or if you want to tell us that you enjoyed the walk, we'd love to hear that too.

A free way to not kill penguins: discarded ink cartridges float in rainwater, can wash into rivers, be broken up by the sea into reflective shards eaten by dopey fish, and build up in the stomachs of seabbirds, causing them to starve to death. Google "stinkyink" and click on "free recycling" for a freepost label.
If you found this page useful, please could you
our page on Facebook?