Getting started with the iWalk Cornwall app
- Download the (free) app from the Apple App store or Google Play by searching for “iwalk cornwall”
- Find a walk you want to do. There are a few different ways you can do this, depending on what works best for you:
- Browse using the app via “walks shop”
- Use the app to scan the QR code on a print-out (the QR scanning button is in the middle at the bottom of the home screen)
- Browse using the website. For example if you want to explore using the map you can zoom into a particular area and then click on a walk, click on the box to go to the walk and then scan the QR code off the screen using the app.
- Buy the walk from within the app (Click “Purchase £1.99” in the top-right corner of the page of info about the walk).
- The walk will appear within “My walks” (middle button on the home screen). Tap on the walk to open it.
- You can use “Get driving directions” on the Summary screen to use your phone’s built-in driving satnav software to navigate you to the car park. There is also a postcode if you want to use an in-car satnav.
- Once the walk is opened, the app will automatically detect when you reach the start of the walk and begin tracking the route. It will bleep each time there is a new direction to follow. You don’t need a phone signal whilst doing the walk, just GPS.
- Make sure your phone battery is fully charged before the walk. If you have an external battery, take it with you for piece of mind.
- Take an OS map with you as a backup. 99% of the time you'll never need it but on a rare occasion where the path is blocked, it will help you to navigate your way around an obstacle using other footpaths.
- For a detailed description of everything the app does see our User Guide for the app.